Monday, May 23, 2011

Internet Stuff That Makes Me Nuts!

I guess I'm a little overdue for a post. I'm especially overdue for a rant. So here goes.

There are a few things that have developed over the years that really get on my nerves. As I cruise the 'net, I come across things that just make me wonder about the good sense displayed by some people as they design sites and post comments. They may not bother everyone but they sure do me although I am willing to bet that I'm not alone. Here we go:

Autoplay Media on Blogs and Sites: Unless you're launching a player, no media should start automatically. Period. Ever. Most of the time, I have something else playing while surfing. It could be music or a movie on Hulu. It doesn't matter. When going to a site and all of a sudden an ad starts to play with full audio, I get a little steamed. It's especially annoying when the ad might be well down the page and it takes a lot of scrolling to find it. When I'm watching a geek favorite like The Pretender I really don't want to hear about dish soap or some herbal cure-all.

I'm equally annoyed by autoplay music on websites. Landing on someone's page and cheesy music starting to blare out of my speakers sends me looking for the "mute" button. At one time this was novel. I had an autoplay song on one of my first websites for a very short period of time. It went away very quickly.

Embedded Popups and Rollover Ads: I hate these. I installed a popup blocker for a reason. Watching a site suddenly go away, covered by some ad that has a tiny, hidden "close" button to eliminate it. I don't mind advertising (obviously). I just don't want it to take over the entire page and block the content.

Rollovers are just as annoying. If the cursor even grazes a micrometer into the box it either starts playing or expands to a screen dominating size and plays. I hate them. Axe is the biggest and most annoying offender with there game/ads. If I actually used the stuff, I would stop just because of the ads.

Internet Jargon: I'm not talking about corporate speak here (which annoys me in other ways) but the absurd language used by people who want to appear smarter than everyone else because they are "in the know." Terms like l33t and n00b make me crazy. Pwnd is annoying beyond words. Look, if you really are as smart as you pretend to be, stop acting like an annoying elitist and use plain English. Anyone can look your silly little language up using Google. Get over yourselves. A typo does not make for a cooler word just a wrong one.

Okay. That felt good. I'm feeling much better now. Leave me a comment and let me know what kind of stuff online annoys you. I'm curious about your pet peeves. I don't even mind if you don't agree with mine. We all have different things that annoy us. Maybe you hate LOLCats ( I do). I'm just want to know. Who knows, getting it off your chest might do you some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment